This recipe is derived from the Couscous, Sweet Potato, and Black Soybean Salad recipe from the Cooking Light Fresh Food Fast cookbook as part of my 2017 A Year of Cooking Light Challenge.
Active Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 20 minutes
Approximate Cost per Serving: $2.25 / plate
While I’m not a big fan of sweet potatoes (unless they are a topping on marshmallows), I really love this recipe (the other subtle flavors make up for the sweet potatoes). This salad will be many lunches to come later this year.
- 3/4 cup water
- 2/3 cup couscous
- 1 lb (approx 2 medium) sweet potatoes
- 1/4 cup zesty lime vinaigrette dressing
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 (15.25 oz) can black beans
- 2 cups baby spinach
- 1/3 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 3 green onions
- Medium saucepan with lid
- Cutting board
- Kitchen knife
- Large bowl
- Measuring cup
- Bring the 3/4 cup of water to a boil in the saucepan. When boiling, add couscous. Stir, cover, and remove for heat. Let stand for 5 minutes with the lid still covering. Fluff.
- While water boils and couscous cooks, peel and cube the sweet potatoes. Place in a microwave safe bowl and microwave for approximately 5 minutes until softened (mixing a few times in between when checking).
- Add the vinaigrette, basil, salt, and pepper to the large bowl. Stir well to combine. Rinse and drain the black beans. Add to the mixing bowl with the couscous, sweet potatoes, and spinach. Toss to mix well.
- Thinly slice the green onions. Sprinkle over the salad with the feta cheese.