This recipe is derived from the Sweet Grape Tomato and While Bean Pasta recipe from the Cooking Light Fresh Food Fast cookbook as part of my 2017 A Year of Cooking Light Challenge.
Active Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 20 minutes
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 cups grape tomatoes
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 cup bottled roasted red bell peppers
- 1 15oz can navy beans
- 2 cups (uncooked) penne pasta
- 3 cups (compacted into measuring cup) baby spinach
- 1/4 cup chopped basil leaves
- 2 tsp balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Large pot
- Large skillet
- Measuring cup
- Measuring spoons
- Cutting board
- Garlic press
- Kitchen knife
- Wooden stirring utensil
- Add water and salt to pot. Bring to a boil over high heat. Once boiling, cook as directed.
- Heat the olive oil in the skillet over medium high heat. While the oil heats, halve the grape tomatoes. Press the garlic. Chop the roasted red bell peppers (do not rinse but let the oil in the bottle drain before transferring to the cooking board). Drain and rinse the navy beans.
- Add the tomatoes to the skillet. Cook three minutes until they begin to slightly wrinkle, stirring occasionally. Add the garlic and cook an additional minute, stirring gently the entire time.
- Add the bell peppers, beans, and spinach. Mix well, making sure the spinach ends up near the bottom of the skillet and the garlic and tomatoes aren’t stuck in the bottom of the pan. Cook for 3 minutes until the spinach begins to wilt.
- When the pasta is done, drain in colander.
- Add the basil, balsamic vinegar, and pasta. Stir to mix. Cook 2 minutes, then remove from heat.
- Transfer pasta to serving bowls then sprinkle with cheese.