Total Time: 1 hr 50 mins
Active Time: 20 minutes
Prepare Ahead: Requires refrigeration overnight
Chef’s Note: This recipe has become a staple in my household. I make it every Christmas we celebrate at home. I just put mine in the refrigerator. Have a very merry Christmas.
- 1 lb ground mild Italian sausage
- 4 eggs
- 2 cups milk
- 1 tsp ground mustard
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 6 slices bread
- 8 oz shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
- Cooking spray
- Large mixing bowl
- Kitchen scissors
- 9 x 13 casserole dish
- Aluminum foil
- Heat skillet over medium heat. While skillet warms, toast all 6 slices of bread until lightly browned.
- Add sausage to the skillet. Cook until browned, crumbling the sausage as it cooks. Drain in colander (do not rinse).
- While the sausage cooks, beat the four eggs together in the large mixing bowl. Add the milk, salt, and ground mustard. Mix well, then add the cheese and stir once again to blend.
- Cut the bread into small square pieces (I do approximately sixteen pieces per slice). Add the bread squares to the bowl with the drained sausage. Combine all ingredients thoroughly.
- Coat the casserole dish with cooking spray. Pour the mixture into the dish, leveling the top to make it even. Cover with foil and refrigerator overnight.
- In the morning, preheat the oven to 350F. Keeping the casserole covered, bake for 45 minutes.
- Remove the aluminum foil and reduce the temperature to 325F. Cook an additional 30 to 45 minutes until the casserole has set.
- Enjoy and have a wonderful holiday!