Total Time: 15 minutes
Active Time: 15 minutes
Chef’s Note: If you have fresh basil leaves on hand, they can be substituted for the dried basil for a more traditional approach. I used my dried basil I had easily on hand.
- 3 ripe red tomatoes
- 8 oz mozzarella cheese ball
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Kosher salt
- Ground black pepper
- Large serving plate (or two large dinner plates if you’re like me)
- Large cutting board
- Small cutting board
- Kitchen knife
- Tbsp measuring spoon
- On the large cutting board, cut the ends off of each tomato. Slice each tomato into 1/4″ to 1/2″ thick pieces. Leave on the cutting board (this helps let the excess juices drain prior to compiling the salad).
- On the small cutting board, slice the mozzarella ball into 1/4″ to 1/2″ thick pieces, then half each slice into a semicircle.
- On the serving plate, alternate each slice of tomato and cheese in a ring or on a line (both styles pictured above). Once layered, drizzle the olive oil over the slices.
- Sprinkle the basil over the top. Then add salt and pepper to taste.