Total Time: 40 minutes
Active Time: 25 minutes
Cook’s Note: For the veggie lovers out there, double the zucchini amount.
- 1/2 cup white rice (I use Jasmine)
- 1/2 cup – 1 cup water
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/3 cup red onion
- 1 zucchini
- 1/2 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Kosher salt
- Ground black pepper
- Medium casserole dish with lid
- Measuring cup
- Measuring spoons
- Cutting board
- Cutting knife
- Medium saute pan
- Rice cooker (or small saucepan with lid)
- Add rice and water to the rice cooker. I typically start with 1/2 cup of water and then add additional once the timer has popped if the rice is still firm.
- Chop the onion coarsely.
- Add the olive oil to the saute pan. Warm over medium heat.
- Coarsely chop the zucchini; you should have roughly 1 cup.
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- Add the onion to the pan. Cook for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until softened.
- When rice is finished, mix in the casserole dish with the shredded and grated cheeses.
- Add the zucchini. Season with salt and pepper to taste (I prefer just a dash of each). Cook for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until it has started to soften.
- Add the onion and zucchini to the rice and cheeses in the casserole dish. Mix. Cover and bake for approximately 15 minutes, until the cheeses have completely melted.